We have scoured the grocery aisles to bring you this list of common items that may boost your milk supply. But remember, milk supply is based on supply and demand, and the most effective way to boost supply is by feeding your baby often, eating a balanced diet and keeping hydrated.
- Water – Bottled or straight from the tap. Good old H20 is a must.
- Anzac biscuits – It’s the oats that make these work. My current favourites are from the Woolworths in-store bakery – 24 for $4, bargain! Warning, they are addictive.
- Porridge – Oats again! A simple, fast and nutritious breakfast or snack.
- Milo – Magic malt. A lot of mummas swear by a cup or two in the afternoon.
- Maltesers/ TV snacks – Again, magic malt. Who cares if they don’t work either, you deserve a treat.
- Coconut water – Super hydrating, zero fat and packed with electrolytes.
- Powerade – Again, hydration and electrolytes are the key.
- Non-alcoholic beer – It’s the yeast. If you don’t like the taste of brewer’s yeast (the key ingredient in lactation cookies), this might work for you.
- Garlic bread – Must be the yeast. Order in with pizza or better yet, date night (sans kids) at an Italian restaurant!
- Nuts – Almonds, cashews and macadamias. Eat them raw or as milk. Packed with protein and calcium, essential nutrients for mummy milk.
Now it's your turn
Have we missed anything? Let us know what works for you over on our Facebook page!